TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Authorities in Florida say a police officer is on administrative leave following the shooting of a suspect.
The Tampa Police Department says in a statement that the officer shot the man during an altercation Sunday morning.
Two officers were called to the scene for a report that two men were trespassing in a vacant house.
One of the men got into a fight with the two officers, and one of the officers fired his weapon, striking the man.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Scientists expected thawing wetlands in Siberia's permafrost. What they found is 'much more dangerous.'
- 'I should have gotten the damn vaccine,' woman says fiancé texted before he died of COVID-19
- Mass. COVID-19 outbreak mostly infected the vaccinated, CDC finds; few needed hospitalization
- Two travelers submitted fake vaccination cards before flying to Toronto. Each was fined nearly $16,000.
- Forced to play in 'panties,' the Norwegian beach handball team decided they'd had enough
The police agency says the officer feared for his life.
The officers weren’t injured, and the wounded suspect was taken to a hospital.
The police agency says it doesn’t know the condition of the man, who wasn’t immediately identified.