COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Authorities say a SWAT team officer fatally shot a man who robbed the same convenience store three days in a row in Ohio’s capital city.
Columbus police say the officer, who hasn’t been identified, shot 25-year-old Kaleb Alexander around 12:15 a.m. Thursday outside the United Dairy Farmers store in Columbus.
Sgt. Rich Weiner says officers staked out the store after being told that the same armed man had robbed it each of the two previous nights. The robber made off with a small amount of cash and cigarettes in each heist.
Police say officers saw Alexander walk into the store shortly after midnight and pull a gun on the clerk.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- George Santos is accused of sexual harassment in his Capitol office
- In 1970, Mississippi banned 'Sesame Street' for showing Black and white kids playing
- US downs Chinese balloon, drawing a threat from China
- A patient declared dead is found in a body bag gasping for air
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Weiner says Alexander ignored commands to drop his weapon, and he was killed by one officer who fired multiple shots.