CLEVELAND (AP) — A Cleveland police officer accused of having a sexual relationship with a 13-year-old boy when she worked as a teacher’s aide has pleaded guilty to reduced charges including attempted felonious assault.
Maria Velez faces up to nine years in prison after entering her plea Thursday. The 25-year-old has agreed to resign from the police department and register as a sex offender.
Prosecutors say Velez was working as a bilingual teacher’s aide at Clark Elementary School in 2015 when she had sex with the student.
Velez resigned from the position in December of that year and joined the Cleveland police force.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- What happens when 25,000 Amazon workers flush toilets?
- 5 things to watch this week in the Mueller probe
- Trump threatens shutdown in wild encounter with Democrats WATCH
- 4 journalists and a newspaper are Time's Person of the Year
- 'Truth isn't truth' tops list of notable quotes in 2018
A message seeking comment was left Friday for her attorney.
Sentencing for Velez is scheduled May 21.