CLEVELAND (AP) — A Cleveland police officer accused of having a sexual relationship with a 13-year-old boy when she worked as a teacher’s aide has pleaded guilty to reduced charges including attempted felonious assault.
Maria Velez faces up to nine years in prison after entering her plea Thursday. The 25-year-old has agreed to resign from the police department and register as a sex offender.
Prosecutors say Velez was working as a bilingual teacher’s aide at Clark Elementary School in 2015 when she had sex with the student.
Velez resigned from the position in December of that year and joined the Cleveland police force.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Harriet Tubman is already appearing on $20 bills whether Trump officials like it or not
- A 102-year-old woman is being evicted so the landlords' daughter can move in
- Parents forget newborn baby in Hamburg taxi
- Officials fighting U.S. measles outbreaks threaten to use rare air-travel ban
- Anna the anaconda got pregnant all by herself — by 'virgin birth'
A message seeking comment was left Friday for her attorney.
Sentencing for Velez is scheduled May 21.