PHOENIX (AP) — The Phoenix Police Department says an officer fatally shot an armed man during an encounter outside a vacant home where the man was trespassing.
Police say the shooting occurred Thursday when officers responded to a neighbor’s call about seeing a man jump into the home’s yard.
According to police, an officer fired at the man when the man brandished a gun.
The dead man’s identity was not released. No officers were injured.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Supreme Court allows Jan. 6 committee to get Trump documents
- You had breakthrough COVID. Can you start living like it’s 2019?
- Cracker Barrel served a cleaning chemical to a customer; now the restaurant must pay him $9.3M
- Carhartt said vaccination remains mandatory for employees. A conservative backlash ensued
- US charges Belarus with air piracy in reporter's arrest
Sgt. Jonathan Howard says the man apparently had forced his way into the house by damaging a door and that police found additional guns inside the home.
The location is near South 99th Avenue and West Broadway Road.