GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) — Authorities say a Navajo Nation police officer who was in the Phoenix area for training struck and killed a 60-year-old bicyclist shortly after midnight on Friday.
Glendale police say 30-year-old Kevin Hevel was driving drunk when he side-swiped a sports utility vehicle and then struck Peter Rankin, who died on scene. Hevel then kept driving and ran a red light before he struck a fully-marked Glendale police SUV.
The Navajo Nation said in a news release that Hevel has been a police officer there for 10 years in the Window Rock District. The tribe said Hevel was in good standing and was not known to have a drinking problem.
It’s unclear whether Hevel was placed on leave.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Clu Gulager, rugged character actor of film and TV, dies at 93
- Russian men, dying in war, leave many families sad, angry and silent
- Flooding washes away Kentucky coal country stalwarts
Hevel faces charges of manslaughter, felony endangerment, DUI and failure to stay at the scene.