CARY, N.C. (AP) — Police say a North Carolina woman locked her 10-year-old son out of their home in freezing temperatures and went to a party on Christmas Day.
Local media report the child was outside for nearly five hours Monday before the woman returned to their Cary home.
Arrest warrants show 43-year-old Susan Dowless has been charged with misdemeanor child abuse. She was arrested Wednesday and was being held on $5,000 bond.
Police say Dowless didn’t give her child adequate clothing, nourishment or supervision while she and other relatives went to a party from 1 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. Forecasters say temperatures hovered around 38 degrees.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Bezos lashes out at Biden over call for lowering of gas prices
- 6 dead, 30 wounded in shooting at Chicago-area July 4 parade
- 'Stay tuned' for new evidence against Trump in July hearings
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Jan. 6 witness Anthony Ornato is at the center of a battle over credibility
Police say the boy suffered no ill effects from the exposure and is with other family members. It wasn’t clear if Dowless had an attorney.