MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Police in Tennessee believe a teenager accidentally shot and killed his 13-year-old friend.
News outlets report Memphis police were called out to the apparent accident at a home Saturday night.
Police spokesman Louis Brownlee says the shooter, who is also 13, was charged with reckless homicide charge. The victim wasn’t immediately identified.
WMC-TV reports the incident is Memphis’ 22nd accidental shooting of a minor this year. A recent Associated Press and USA TODAY Network investigation found Memphis ranked first among the nation’s large cities in accidental shootings of minors on a per-capita basis from January 2014 through June 2016, with at least 19.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- 'I didn't really learn anything': COVID grads face college
- Trump did flush ripped-up papers down toilets, photos in upcoming book reveal
- Simmering threat of violence comes to fore with search of Trump property
- If Trump illegally removed official records, would he be barred from office?
- Florida man filming sunrise killed when sand dune collapses
A spokeswoman for Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland told The Commercial Appeal that the death could have been prevented with a gun lock, a device that’s available for free at the city’s police precincts.