WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) — Authorities say a man training to become a police officer in North Carolina has accidentally shot and wounded his wife.
The department tells local media outlets that the wife of Winston-Salem trainee Nikolaos Tish was shot once in the stomach just after 7:15 p.m. Tuesday. Police say that Tish was holding a gun near his wife when she was shot and that he personally owns the gun that was fired.
Officers say Jessica Marie Tish was taken to a hospital, and no update on her condition was immediately available.
According to the department, Tish is taking personal leave and has been with the department since August 31.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Forced to play in 'panties,' the Norwegian beach handball team decided they'd had enough
- Should vaccinated people start wearing masks again?
- A Grizzly Bear Terrorized a Man for Days in Alaska. The Coast Guard Saw His SOS.
- Trans model makes Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover history: 'If you don't like it, you can go somewhere else'
- Why so many people have the worst summer cold ever