NEW YORK (AP) — Police have charged a man who they say stabbed a New York City woman to death and slashed a good Samaritan who came to her aid.
Police say 27-year-old Dantey Moore stabbed 63-year-old Geetha Howie, of Staten Island, repeatedly in the face and chest during an attack Monday afternoon. Relatives say Howie was walking home from the bank when she was attacked a few minutes away from her residence.
Fifty-six-year-old Mark Long saw the attack, tried to intervene and suffered a slashed arm.
Investigators say they believe Moore didn’t know Howie and that the attack was random.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump’s shifting explanations follow a familiar playbook
- In America's fastest-growing metro, a rising fear water will run out
- The coming California megastorm
- The fabulously wealthy are fueling a booming luxury ranch market out West
- Anne Heche, TV, film and stage actor, dies at 53 from injuries sustained in L.A. car crash
Howie was taken to a nearby hospital where she was pronounced dead. Long was treated at the scene.
Moore has been charged with murder and assault. It couldn’t be learned from prosecutors if he has a lawyer.