PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Police say a man shot and critically wounded by a plainclothes Philadelphia officer following a pursuit has been positively identified as the suspect in two robberies.
Police said a west Philadelphia deli was held up shortly after 9:30 a.m. Tuesday and the suspect fled in a sport utility vehicle with a New Jersey license plate.
About 15 minutes later, the SUV was spotted and found to have been stolen in an early morning robbery. Officers in an unmarked vehicle tried to stop the SUV after it hit a car but the SUV drove in reverse and hit their vehicle.
Police say an officer repeatedly ordered the driver to show his hands and ultimately shot him in the chest. He’s listed in critical but stable condition at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Aide: Trump dismissed Jan. 6 threats, wanted to join crowd
- Ghislaine Maxwell sentenced to 20 years for helping Epstein
- 8 bombshells from Cassidy Hutchinson’s testimony at Jan. 6 hearing
- Ocasio-Cortez wants 2 justices impeached for ‘lying under oath’
- Trump tried to strangle Secret Service agent in attempt to reach Capitol on Jan. 6, aide testifies