WASHINGTON (AP) — Authorities say a security guard shot and wounded a man at a Washington shopping center who had fired at the guard.
Police said in a statement Tuesday that a man approached the guard Monday afternoon in northeast Washington, started a conversation and then brandished a handgun, firing several times. Police say the guard then shot the man, who fled and was later arrested.
The suspect was taken to a hospital for treatment of injuries that aren’t thought to be life-threatening. Police say the guard wasn’t injured.
Police charged 25-year-old Adrian Smith with assault on a police officer and assault with a dangerous weapon.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- After Roe, architect of Texas abortion law sets sights on gay marriage and more
- Kamala Harris could break a record. Democrats wish she didn't have to
- Parade shooting suspect bought 5 weapons despite threats
- Bezos lashes out at Biden over call for lowering of gas prices
- Once a crucial refuge, ‘gayborhoods’ lose LGBTQ appeal in major cities
It is unclear what prompted the shooting or whether Smith has an attorney.