MIAMI (AP) — Police say a South Florida man was demonstrating the proper way to clean a gun during a video call with a relative when he accidentally shot himself in the chest and died.
Miami-Dade detective Marjorie Eloi said in a news release that the accidental shooting happened around 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Police say 43-year-old Josmel Herrera shot himself once. He was taken to Kendall Regional Trauma Center where he was declared dead.
Eloi said police responded to the home after receiving several calls about a shot being fired. The news release didn’t say whether anyone else was inside the home at the time of the shooting.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A mysterious, devastating brain disorder afflicts dozens in one Canadian province
- GOP dumps defiant Trump critic Cheney from top House post
- New drugs could help treat obesity. Could they end the stigma, too?
- One of the world’s longest-running experiments sends up sprouts
- What is happening in Jerusalem and Gaza?
No further details were released. Police say the investigation is ongoing.