MIAMI (AP) — Police say a South Florida man was demonstrating the proper way to clean a gun during a video call with a relative when he accidentally shot himself in the chest and died.
Miami-Dade detective Marjorie Eloi said in a news release that the accidental shooting happened around 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Police say 43-year-old Josmel Herrera shot himself once. He was taken to Kendall Regional Trauma Center where he was declared dead.
Eloi said police responded to the home after receiving several calls about a shot being fired. The news release didn’t say whether anyone else was inside the home at the time of the shooting.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Northwest is in for a cold, stormy winter, NOAA predicts
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Cheney’s consultants are given an ultimatum: Drop her, or be dropped
- Pranksters have already defaced Trump's new social network
- ‘Needle spiking’ of women in Britain stirs alarm over new kind of assault
No further details were released. Police say the investigation is ongoing.