MIAMI (AP) — Police say a South Florida man was demonstrating the proper way to clean a gun during a video call with a relative when he accidentally shot himself in the chest and died.
Miami-Dade detective Marjorie Eloi said in a news release that the accidental shooting happened around 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Police say 43-year-old Josmel Herrera shot himself once. He was taken to Kendall Regional Trauma Center where he was declared dead.
Eloi said police responded to the home after receiving several calls about a shot being fired. The news release didn’t say whether anyone else was inside the home at the time of the shooting.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A nurse and her entire family contracted COVID-19 under one roof. It started with a 'selfless' car ride.
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Pentagon blocks visits to military spy agencies by Biden transition team
- California imposing its strongest coronavirus limits since the spring
- As thousands of athletes get coronavirus tests, nurses wonder: What about us?
No further details were released. Police say the investigation is ongoing.