RICHMOND, Va. — Police say a man has been taken into custody for evaluation after he threatened worshippers at a south Richmond church.
Richmond Police Capt. Chris Gleason told the Richmond Times Dispatch (http://bit.ly/1Su9IVB ) the man was beating on a door at United Nations Church International on Thursday night with a piece of plastic.
A member of the black church told the newspaper the man, who was white, was yelling racial slurs and making threats.
Gleason says a police officer who was working security responded and called for backup. He says the man was taken into custody under an emergency commitment order and will be evaluated at a hospital.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Couple finds their luggage is overweight because of stowaway dog
- Could this new version of an old grain help fight climate change and feed the world?
- Moderna vs. Pfizer: Both knockouts, but one seems to have the edge
- When a fisherman pulled in his line, he knew he had 'something weird': A 40-pound alligator gar
The incident comes a day after authorities say a white gunman opened fire at a black church in Charleston, South Carolina, killing nine people in an incident that’s being investigated as a hate crime.
Information from: Richmond Times-Dispatch, http://www.timesdispatch.com