PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — A man authorities say crashed into a utility pole and injured a Rhode Island police officer as he fled has been arrested.
WPRI-TV reports police were investigating a suspicious person in Providence on Friday when the man fled on foot and returned to his car. Police say the man drove off as officers tried pull him out of the car. Authorities say one officer who was partially in the vehicle was hurt when the suspect crashed.
Authorities say the suspect was hospitalized and later released into police custody. The officer involved in the crash suffered minor injuries.
Police have not released the suspect’s name. He will face multiple charges including resisting arrest and assault on a police officer when he is arraigned Friday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- John Cynn claims World Series of Poker title, wins $8.8M VIEW
- Pussy Riot upstages Putin with protest that halts World Cup VIEW
- Arizona man arrested after trying to pull over troopers
Information from: WPRI-TV, http://www.wpri.com