PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — A man authorities say crashed into a utility pole and injured a Rhode Island police officer as he fled has been arrested.
WPRI-TV reports police were investigating a suspicious person in Providence on Friday when the man fled on foot and returned to his car. Police say the man drove off as officers tried pull him out of the car. Authorities say one officer who was partially in the vehicle was hurt when the suspect crashed.
Authorities say the suspect was hospitalized and later released into police custody. The officer involved in the crash suffered minor injuries.
Police have not released the suspect’s name. He will face multiple charges including resisting arrest and assault on a police officer when he is arraigned Friday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Turkey: 'Atrocious' recording suggests killer used drugs VIEW
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- Sheriff: California wildfire's death toll rises to 48 WATCH
- A reader's guide to 12 Trump administration targets House Democrats are preparing to investigate
- Utility emailed Northern California woman about power-line problems 1 day before fire
Information from: WPRI-TV, http://www.wpri.com