EDWARDS, Miss. (AP) — A police chief in Mississippi says a man has confessed to killing the brother of an assistant police chief.
Edwards Police Chief Torrence Mayfield tells WAPT-TV that 50-year-old Willie Bingham has admitted to killing 41-year-old Clifton David Nelson. Bingham was arrested Sunday and charged with murder for the fatal shooting. Nelson later died from his wounds at a hospital.
The Clarion-Ledger reports the two worked together at Tyson Foods Inc. on a sanitation crew. No motivation has been released.
The chief says Nelson is the brother of Assistant Police Chief Terrance Crump. He says the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation is handling the case to ensure objectivity.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Florida athletes could be required to submit their menstrual history to schools
- Should you be worried about infection from eye drops?
- Sorry, not sorry: Some 1/6 rioters change tune after apology
- Chinese balloon soars across US; Blinken scraps Beijing trip
- Soaring Russian death toll gives grim insight into Moscow's tactics in Ukraine
Bingham is also charged with possessing a firearm as a convicted felon. It’s unclear if he has a lawyer.