BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Police in Louisiana have arrested a teenager who fatally shot a 14-year-old while playing with a gun that accidentally fired.
Baton Rouge police spokesman Sgt. Don Coppola Jr. says the 17-year-old surrendered to police Wednesday and faces a charge of negligent homicide in the Feb. 3 death of 14-year-old Tyree Fleming. It was unknown if the suspect has an attorney.
According to an arrest warrant, officers responded to reports of a shooting and found Fleming inside a bedroom suffering from a gunshot wound to the chest.
A witness told officers the 17-year-old pulled out a small pistol and loaded it before pointing it at the witness. The teenager then pointed the gun at Fleming, who was lying on his bed. The witness said when Fleming moved to get up, the 17-year-old reacted and fired.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Obama quietly gives advice to 2020 Democrats, but no endorsement
- He threw away a napkin at a hockey game. It was used to charge him in a 1993 murder.
- Coalition of states sues Trump over national-emergency declaration to build border wall
- Sailor in iconic V-J Day Times Square kiss photo dies at 95