BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Police in Louisiana have arrested a teenager who fatally shot a 14-year-old while playing with a gun that accidentally fired.
Baton Rouge police spokesman Sgt. Don Coppola Jr. says the 17-year-old surrendered to police Wednesday and faces a charge of negligent homicide in the Feb. 3 death of 14-year-old Tyree Fleming. It was unknown if the suspect has an attorney.
According to an arrest warrant, officers responded to reports of a shooting and found Fleming inside a bedroom suffering from a gunshot wound to the chest.
A witness told officers the 17-year-old pulled out a small pistol and loaded it before pointing it at the witness. The teenager then pointed the gun at Fleming, who was lying on his bed. The witness said when Fleming moved to get up, the 17-year-old reacted and fired.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- If you win tonight's huge Mega Millions jackpot, here's what to do next
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- Todd Bol, founder of Little Free Library book sharing, dies
- As NASA's prized telescopes falter, astronomers fear losing their eyes in space
- Audio offers gruesome details of Khashoggi killing, Turkish official says