ASHEVILLE, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina police are combing through a heavily wooded ravine near an elementary school after a bypasser found what appears to be human remains.
Police in Asheville were at work Sunday after a cyclist reported the finding on private property near Isaac Dickson Elementary School.
Police say it’s too soon to know the age or gender of the remains found late Saturday.
Police Lt. Chuck Sams tells The Citizen-Times of Asheville that investigators are trying to determine how long the body had been there and the state of decomposition.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Trump backs down, says he misspoke on Russia meddling WATCH
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Trump says he accepts US intelligence on Russian interference in election but denies collusion