HAMPTON, Va. (AP) — Police in Hampton say an officer fatally shot two dogs after the animals charged at him.
According to local media, police received a report around 5:30 Saturday that two pit bulls were roaming around a neighborhood.
Police responded and an officer spotted two loose dogs. When he approached, the animals charged at him and he retreated to his vehicle and called animal control for help.
Then the dogs went into a backyard, where the officer said he heard growling.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hearing sets up dramatic showdown between Kavanaugh, accuser WATCH
- Trump Jr. mocks sexual assault claim against Kavanaugh
- Grizzly's rare aggressive attack kills 1, puzzles officials
- Noah's Ark except it's a school bus: Truck driver rescues 64 dogs and cats from floods of Hurricane Florence
- Soon-Yi Previn defends husband Woody Allen, attacks mother
Police say the officer entered the backyard and found the two pit bulls attacking another dog. The officer approached, and the dogs charged at him again. The officer fatally shot them both.
An investigation is ongoing.