JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — Police say a man was fatally shot after he fired at an officer during a domestic dispute in Jacksonville.
The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office says 36-year-old Richard Francis Compo was killed on Sunday after he fired a rifle seven times at officers who responded to a call for help from his wife.
Chief Tom Hackney says Compo’s friends reported that he had been acting suicidal during a camping trip the day before he died.
Hackney says Compo’s wife called police saying her husband was acting violently and had threatened to kill her. She had fled their home and asked for help at a nearby church.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- How could police have mistaken a gun for a Taser in Daunte Wright's death?
- Americans may be able to travel to Europe again this summer. Their hosts may not be vaccinated.
- Walgreens not following U.S. guidance on Pfizer vaccine spacing
- Essential, invisible: COVID has 200,000 merchant sailors stuck at sea
- Cop, police chief resign 2 days after Black motorist's death
The officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave until an investigation is completed.
The man’s wife and children were not injured.