JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — Police say a man was fatally shot after he fired at an officer during a domestic dispute in Jacksonville.
The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office says 36-year-old Richard Francis Compo was killed on Sunday after he fired a rifle seven times at officers who responded to a call for help from his wife.
Chief Tom Hackney says Compo’s friends reported that he had been acting suicidal during a camping trip the day before he died.
Hackney says Compo’s wife called police saying her husband was acting violently and had threatened to kill her. She had fled their home and asked for help at a nearby church.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Forced to play in 'panties,' the Norwegian beach handball team decided they'd had enough
- Largest US quake in half-century causes Alaska little damage
- Another coronavirus variant has reached Florida. Here's what you need to know.
- 'The war has changed': Internal CDC document urges new messaging, warns delta infections likely more severe
- MacKenzie Scott, French Gates join to award $40M for gender equality efforts in U.S.
The officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave until an investigation is completed.
The man’s wife and children were not injured.