JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — Police say a man was fatally shot after he fired at an officer during a domestic dispute in Jacksonville.
The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office says 36-year-old Richard Francis Compo was killed on Sunday after he fired a rifle seven times at officers who responded to a call for help from his wife.
Chief Tom Hackney says Compo’s friends reported that he had been acting suicidal during a camping trip the day before he died.
Hackney says Compo’s wife called police saying her husband was acting violently and had threatened to kill her. She had fled their home and asked for help at a nearby church.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- As thousands of athletes get coronavirus tests, nurses wonder: What about us?
- Trump may be coming to terms with loss he won't acknowledge
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- An unusual snack for cows, a powerful fix for climate
- Britain tries to swab all of Liverpool in pilot of mass coronavirus testing
The officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave until an investigation is completed.
The man’s wife and children were not injured.