NEWARK, Del. (AP) — Police in Delaware are warning about hoax phone calls made to day care centers in which the caller tries to obtain personal information, claiming he’s trying to identify a lost child.
Delaware State Police and Newark Police said in a statement Tuesday that a man called two day care facilities in Newark and Middletown on Monday.
Authorities say the calls came from a block number, and a man said he had found a lost child. The caller claims the child’s belongings identified the child as being under the facility’s care.
Police say the caller tried to get personal information. He eventually hung up when the day care staff asked him questions.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Species battle pits protected sea lions against fragile fish VIEW
- Austin bombing suspect had list of future targets
- Hundreds of dead cattle lead to California rancher's arrest
- Donald Trump Jr.’s wife reportedly found ‘sexy texts’ from Aubrey O’Day while he was in the shower
- Congress passes $1.3 trillion budget with little time to spare
Both facilities immediately notified police.