NEWARK, Del. (AP) — Police in Delaware are warning about hoax phone calls made to day care centers in which the caller tries to obtain personal information, claiming he’s trying to identify a lost child.
Delaware State Police and Newark Police said in a statement Tuesday that a man called two day care facilities in Newark and Middletown on Monday.
Authorities say the calls came from a block number, and a man said he had found a lost child. The caller claims the child’s belongings identified the child as being under the facility’s care.
Police say the caller tried to get personal information. He eventually hung up when the day care staff asked him questions.
Most Read Stories
- WSU QB Tyler Hilinski, 21, dies from an apparent suicide
- Take it from me, WSU athlete's death is a reminder that help is available | Matt Calkins
- Apple banks on tax break to build another campus, create 20,000 jobs
- Police investigate reported gang rape of teen in Ballard park
- Is Seattle’s homeless crisis the worst in the country?
Both facilities immediately notified police.