WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) — Delaware police officers fatally shot an armed man in a wheelchair after responding to a call that the man had a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Wilmington Police said in a news release that they encountered the man Wednesday afternoon “armed with a handgun.”
Authorities say “a departmental shooting ensued” and that the man died on the scene. The news release did not elaborate and police would not release any additional information when contacted by telephone.
According to a city spokeswoman, Police Chief Bobby L. Cummings went to the scene and met with neighbors and relatives.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Florida middle school killer dies in prison at 31
- The girl in the Kent State photo and the lifelong burden of being a national symbol
- Can you have alcohol after the COVID vaccine?
- Affluent Americans rush to retire in new 'life-is-short' mindset
- Judge blasts Barr, Justice Dept. for 'disingenuous' handling of secret Trump obstruction memo
Wilmington spokeswoman Alexandra Coppadge also said that police told her the man had shot himself Wednesday before they arrived.