OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — Authorities in Northern California said several Oakland police officers have fatally shot a man who pointed a gun at them as they were towing vehicles involved in an illegal “sideshow.”
Officer Johnna Watson said after the shooting occurred Sunday evening, investigators determined the gun was a replica firearm.
She said the officers performed CPR on the wounded man until an ambulance arrived.
His name has not been released.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Fauci on what working for Trump was really like
- Wealthy couple chartered a plane to the Yukon, took vaccines meant for Indigenous elders, authorities said
- The handwarming story of how Bernie Sanders got his inauguration mittens
- Supreme Court ends Trump emoluments lawsuits
- ‘A total failure’: The Proud Boys now mock Trump
Police and the Alameda County District Attorney’s office will investigate the shooting.
The Oakland Tribune reports (http://bayareane.ws/1j2VJJr) the sideshow — where participants race cars and perform stunts — was the second one in the city on Sunday. As many as 700 cars were involved in sideshow activity early Sunday that shut down numerous street intersections and a portion of Interstate 880.