EUGENE, Ore. (AP) — Authorities have identified a man killed by two officers in Eugene after he allegedly pointed a rifle at them.
Eugene Police said Wednesday that 31-year-old Roger Craig Nielsen was fatally shot Tuesday at an apartment complex.
Police say officers went to the complex after learning an armed man was holding a woman and her child hostage.
The suspect then left on foot, and police thought he might have fled to a relative’s apartment nearby.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump’s shifting explanations follow a familiar playbook
- In America's fastest-growing metro, a rising fear water will run out
- The coming California megastorm
- Anne Heche, TV, film and stage actor, dies at 53 from injuries sustained in L.A. car crash
- Trump executive nears plea deal with Manhattan prosecutors
Police say officers saw Nielsen in an apartment and ordered him to come out with his hands up. Police say Nielsen came out with a rifle pointed at officers and refused to drop the weapon.
Two officers fired, striking Nielsen who was pronounced dead at a hospital.
Police say the names of the officers are being withheld until investigative interviews are complete.