PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — A suspected burglar accused of exchanging gunfire with Portland police has been identified as a 26-year-old woman.
The Portland Police Bureau says Sarah Michelle Brown was booked into jail over the weekend after being released from a hospital. She’s charged with attempted murder, burglary, unlawful entry in a motor vehicle and unlawful use of a weapon.
Officers responded to the Goose Hollow neighborhood early Thursday on a report of a burglary in progress. Police say there was an exchange of gunfire between the woman and officers.
A SWAT team and crisis negotiators responded during an ensuing standoff that lasted more than three hours. Police say a handgun was seized as evidence.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- If you win tonight's huge Mega Millions jackpot, here's what to do next
- Saudi government acknowledges Khashoggi was killed while visiting Saudi consulate
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- To defend Trump, conservatives smear journalist presumed dead
- Justice Department charges Russian woman with interference in midterm elections
The incident remains under investigation and will be reviewed by a grand jury.