PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — A suspected burglar accused of exchanging gunfire with Portland police has been identified as a 26-year-old woman.
The Portland Police Bureau says Sarah Michelle Brown was booked into jail over the weekend after being released from a hospital. She’s charged with attempted murder, burglary, unlawful entry in a motor vehicle and unlawful use of a weapon.
Officers responded to the Goose Hollow neighborhood early Thursday on a report of a burglary in progress. Police say there was an exchange of gunfire between the woman and officers.
A SWAT team and crisis negotiators responded during an ensuing standoff that lasted more than three hours. Police say a handgun was seized as evidence.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump tests presidential power, declares emergency at border WATCH
- Unclaimed $1.5B prize: South Carolina could be big loser too
- Year in space put US astronaut's disease defenses on alert
- High-tech degrees and the price of an avocado: The data New York gave to Amazon
- Bombshell book alleges a Vatican gay subculture, hypocrisy
The incident remains under investigation and will be reviewed by a grand jury.