CONCORD, Va. (AP) — Virginia State Police have identified a man who died after an exchange of gunfire with police.
State police say 24-year-old Trevon J. Scruggs locked himself and his 3-year-old son in a bedroom at a home in Campbell County on Friday night. Campbell County sheriff’s deputies say they tried to negotiate with Scruggs for almost 11 hours before they were relieved by a state police tactical team.
State police say in a news release that the boy came out of the bedroom around 12:05 p.m. Saturday. Police say Scruggs began shooting at the state police team as a negotiator tried to coax the boy to safety, and the officers returned fire.
Police say that Scruggs died at a hospital and that the boy is unharmed and in family members’ custody.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Could this new version of an old grain help fight climate change and feed the world?
- At Alaska's most popular national park, climate change threatens the only road in and out
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Moderna vs. Pfizer: Both knockouts, but one seems to have the edge
- When a fisherman pulled in his line, he knew he had 'something weird': A 40-pound alligator gar
An investigation continues.
This story has been corrected to show that the boy is unharmed, not harmed.