CONCORD, Va. (AP) — Virginia State Police have identified a man who died after an exchange of gunfire with police.
State police say 24-year-old Trevon J. Scruggs locked himself and his 3-year-old son in a bedroom at a home in Campbell County on Friday night. Campbell County sheriff’s deputies say they tried to negotiate with Scruggs for almost 11 hours before they were relieved by a state police tactical team.
State police say in a news release that the boy came out of the bedroom around 12:05 p.m. Saturday. Police say Scruggs began shooting at the state police team as a negotiator tried to coax the boy to safety, and the officers returned fire.
Police say that Scruggs died at a hospital and that the boy is unharmed and in family members’ custody.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Can you have alcohol after the COVID vaccine?
- After leading a 153-person hike in the Grand Canyon, a Washington health-care exec faces federal charges
- Mom who gave birth on flight didn't know she was pregnant
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Why the world's most vaccinated country is seeing an unprecedented spike in coronavirus cases
An investigation continues.
This story has been corrected to show that the boy is unharmed, not harmed.