ST. LOUIS (AP) — Police have identified a patient who was fatally shot by security guards after he pushed his way out of a treatment room and refused to drop two knives.
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the patient was 46-year-old Andrew Merryman, of Ballwin. Police say they believe he was suicidal when he pulled the knives from his pocket Thursday morning at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis.
The shooting happened at the hospital’s Center of Advanced Medicine, which includes a cancer center and other medical offices and clinics. Officials say Merryman was in a room with his wife when he forced his way out and pulled the knives from his pockets.
Police say two security guards fired after they ordered Merryman to drop the knives, he refused. Merryman died at the scene.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hundreds at vigils mourn victims of Branson boat accident WATCH
- Cohen secretly taped Trump discussing payment to Playboy model
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- As president-elect, Trump was shown classified evidence of Putin’s hand in 2016 meddling
- Pilots recount rescue of suicidal man on Mount Hood
Information from: St. Louis Post-Dispatch, http://www.stltoday.com