LAS VEGAS (AP) — The honor guard of the police department in Las Vegas has raffled off two rifles engraved with the “Vegas Strong” phrase.
Police spokesman officer Jay Rivera tells the Las Vegas Sun the rifles were among the prizes of a fundraiser. Baseball tickets and wine certificates were also among the prizes.
The “Vegas Strong” phrase became a rallying cry in the city after a gunman killed 58 people and injured hundreds more when he shattered the windows of his hotel suite and unleashed gunfire on a music festival below. He then killed himself.
Rivera says the event was planned independently of the police department. He says it’s not unreasonable to raffle firearms since the event features a shooting contest.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump said he thinks 'the people would revolt' if he were impeached
- What happens when 25,000 Amazon workers flush toilets?
- 'Dirty deeds': Ex-Trump lawyer Cohen gets 3 years in prison
- Trump threatens shutdown in wild encounter with Democrats WATCH
- Pelosi gives Trump an earful, questions 'manhood' in private WATCH
The guard performs military-style honors during funeral services of law enforcement officers.
Information from: Las Vegas Sun, http://www.lasvegassun.com