HOUSTON (AP) — A male robbery suspect wielding a screwdriver and scissors has been shot dead by Houston police after officers say he charged them with weapons in hand.
A Houston police statement says the man was sought in the holdup of a restaurant in west Houston near Bellaire about 7 a.m. Tuesday. When the man was found walking along a street near the restaurant, officers confronted him. The police statement said the man defied demands that he drop his weapons and lie down, so he was shot with a stun gun.
The stun gun had no effect however. The suspect then charged officers and was shot fatally.
The man’s identity wasn’t immediately determined. An internal department investigation and an outside investigation by the Harris County District Attorney’s Office are underway.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump’s shifting explanations follow a familiar playbook
- In America's fastest-growing metro, a rising fear water will run out
- The coming California megastorm
- Anne Heche, TV, film and stage actor, dies at 53 from injuries sustained in L.A. car crash
- Trump executive nears plea deal with Manhattan prosecutors