ANNANDALE, Va. (AP) — Authorities say at least five people assaulted a man and set him on fire in the Virginia suburbs of Washington.
Fairfax County police said on Twitter that a caller reported seeing five or six young men light a man on fire after assaulting him in Annandale on Sunday afternoon. Responding officers saw the suspects flee the scene on foot, and were able to detain two after a chase.
The victim was hospitalized with burns to his upper body and is expected to survive.
Lt. Eli Corey with Fairfax County police told WTOP-FM that detectives were interviewing the two detained and searching for at least three others.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- Alec Baldwin wonders whether Trump's 'SNL' attack poses 'a threat to my safety'
- Intimidation, pressure and humiliation: Inside Trump’s two-year war on the investigations encircling him VIEW
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Newspaper calls for KKK resurgence, schools rescind honors
Corey says investigators are trying to determine what the victim was burned with and what was used to light the fire.
Information from: WTOP-FM, http://www.wtop.com