ANNANDALE, Va. (AP) — Authorities say at least five people assaulted a man and set him on fire in the Virginia suburbs of Washington.
Fairfax County police said on Twitter that a caller reported seeing five or six young men light a man on fire after assaulting him in Annandale on Sunday afternoon. Responding officers saw the suspects flee the scene on foot, and were able to detain two after a chase.
The victim was hospitalized with burns to his upper body and is expected to survive.
Lt. Eli Corey with Fairfax County police told WTOP-FM that detectives were interviewing the two detained and searching for at least three others.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Flamingo freezes on flight south, crashes onto Siberian road
- Americans, Canadians are warned not to eat romaine lettuce VIEW
- 'I believed we were going to die': An elevator in a Chicago skyscraper fell 84 floors, requiring a dramatic rescue of six people
- Anti-vaccination stronghold in North Carolina hit with state's worst chickenpox outbreak in 2 decades
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
Corey says investigators are trying to determine what the victim was burned with and what was used to light the fire.
Information from: WTOP-FM, http://www.wtop.com