DOVER TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — Police say a 64-year-old golfer from Ohio has died after being stung at least 20 times by bees as he searched for a ball in woods in northern Michigan.
Michigan State Police Sgt. Mark Tamlyn says Darryl Dever of Powell was pronounced dead Wednesday after having trouble breathing.
MLive.com reports that Dever and a friend — a doctor — were golfing together at Treetops Resort’s north course when Dever went into the woods. Tamlyn says the bees came out of the ground, stinging him at least 20 times in the head, neck and shoulders.
Dever had no known allergy to bee stings, but Tamlyn noted that enough stings can be fatal even to someone without an allergy.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Motorcycle stunt rider Alex Harvill dies while trying to break world record in Moses Lake
- US-Canada border restrictions extended until July 21
- A teen buys repossessed storage units at auction, then gives the contents back to the original owners
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Woman falls to death at indoor climbing gym
Treetops Resort is near Gaylord, about 200 miles northwest of Detroit.