WARWICK, R.I. (AP) — A Rhode Island police department is reviewing its policy on using Facebook after a complaint about a quote from the movie “Forrest Gump” that was included in announcing an arrest.
Warwick police arrested an 18-year-old and a juvenile Sunday on the department’s parking lot on misdemeanor charges that the two were taking hubcaps off a marked police car and trying to steal equipment.
WJAR-TV reports that police posted a mugshot of the older teen on the department’s Facebook page with the quote, “Stupid is as stupid does,” a line from the movie.
The suspect’s brother told the television station that police shouldn’t have called his brother stupid.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Luxury cars, MAGA flags and Facebook invites: How an unknown Idaho family organized the Portland rally that turned deadly
- Police officers not charged for killing Breonna Taylor VIEW
- N95 masks save lives. So why are they still hard to get this far into a pandemic?
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- How to create a pandemic pod for safe social interaction
The department removed the photo and replaced the quote with “You can’t make this stuff up.”
Police tell WPRO-AM they’re reviewing the policy.