HOMESTEAD, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say Florida police officers fatally shot an elderly man who had been threatening to kill himself.
A Miami-Dade Police Department news release says officers responded to a Homestead-area apartment complex Monday afternoon after a report of an 84-year-old who was armed and threatening to take his own life.
Police say four officers opened fire on the armed man and rescue workers determined he died at the scene.
The release says the dead man and three of the officers were white, and one of the officers was black. Police weren’t immediately releasing their names.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- France strikes back against Trump, emphasizing a lack of 'common decency'
- California fire has claimed 63 as missing list grows to 631 WATCH
- Sheriff: California wildfire's death toll rises to 48 WATCH