HOMESTEAD, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say Florida police officers fatally shot an elderly man who had been threatening to kill himself.
A Miami-Dade Police Department news release says officers responded to a Homestead-area apartment complex Monday afternoon after a report of an 84-year-old who was armed and threatening to take his own life.
Police say four officers opened fire on the armed man and rescue workers determined he died at the scene.
The release says the dead man and three of the officers were white, and one of the officers was black. Police weren’t immediately releasing their names.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- Robocalls flooding your cellphone? Here’s how to fight them
- Inside the elite prep-school world of Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh, accuser
- Two women athletes were separately killed in Iowa. But only one suspect — a Mexican — inspired outrage.
- Under right terms, Kavanaugh accuser may testify after all WATCH