HOMESTEAD, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say Florida police officers fatally shot an elderly man who had been threatening to kill himself.
A Miami-Dade Police Department news release says officers responded to a Homestead-area apartment complex Monday afternoon after a report of an 84-year-old who was armed and threatening to take his own life.
Police say four officers opened fire on the armed man and rescue workers determined he died at the scene.
The release says the dead man and three of the officers were white, and one of the officers was black. Police weren’t immediately releasing their names.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Amid Trump’s crackdown, thousands of asylum-seekers on the border are giving up
- Fire deaths rise to 71 ahead of Trump's California visit WATCH
- In war, as with California wildfires, heroism lives next to horror
- Year in space put US astronaut's disease defenses on alert
- Employee being fired fatally shoots 5 co-workers in Illinois WATCH