GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) — A 55-year-old Florida man is accused of pouring gasoline on his girlfriend and setting her on fire.
Gainesville police arrest report says Roosevelt Kitchens was charged with attempted murder. He was being held Thursday on a $1 million bond.
An arrest report says Kitchen and the woman had been drinking and using drugs when they got into an argument Wednesday night and she left their apartment. Police say he followed her to a neighbor’s porch and doused her with gasoline.
Witnesses told investigators that Kitchen said, “Anyone got a lighter,” before pulling one from his pocket.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Clu Gulager, rugged character actor of film and TV, dies at 93
- Russian men, dying in war, leave many families sad, angry and silent
- Flooding washes away Kentucky coal country stalwarts
The neighbor tried to extinguish the blaze and put the woman in a bathtub. Police said the skin on her legs and stomach “melted.”
A lawyer isn’t listed on Kitchens’ jail record.