WANTAGE, N.J. (AP) — State troopers discovered the decomposed remains of a man and a dead cat inside a northern New Jersey home while responding to a medical assistance call.
Authorities say troopers responded to the Wantage home on Sunday night after receiving a report of an unresponsive woman on the porch of a house. Police found an elderly woman who couldn’t communicate with them and discovered the partially skeletonized remains of her husband on a bed.
It’s unclear how long the body had been in the home, located about 50 miles northwest of Newark.
Police say they also found a dead cat in the backseat of a car parked in the driveway.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Kavanaugh gave private assurances. Collins says he ‘misled’ her
- Biden signs landmark gun measure, says 'lives will be saved'
- The man most responsible for ending Roe worries that it could hurt his party
- To catch a snake: Largest python found in Everglades signals a threat
- Thousands of Seattle protesters gather downtown after Supreme Court reverses Roe v. Wade
Troopers say debris and garbage littered the residence, which has been declared structurally unsafe.