WANTAGE, N.J. (AP) — State troopers discovered the decomposed remains of a man and a dead cat inside a northern New Jersey home while responding to a medical assistance call.
Authorities say troopers responded to the Wantage home on Sunday night after receiving a report of an unresponsive woman on the porch of a house. Police found an elderly woman who couldn’t communicate with them and discovered the partially skeletonized remains of her husband on a bed.
It’s unclear how long the body had been in the home, located about 50 miles northwest of Newark.
Police say they also found a dead cat in the backseat of a car parked in the driveway.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Man known for duping sexual predators online killed in confrontation
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Two people killed by grizzly bear at Banff National Park in Canada
- McCarthy to face far-right attempt to oust him as House speaker
- Rep. Jamaal Bowman triggered a fire alarm in a House office building amid voting on a funding bill
Troopers say debris and garbage littered the residence, which has been declared structurally unsafe.