HARRISONBURG, Va. (AP) — Virginia police say officers fatally shot a man armed with a gun outside of a residence.
A Harrisonburg Police Department news release says the shooting occurred around 2:15 a.m. Sunday. Officers went to the residence, about 115 miles northwest of Richmond, in response to a report of a disturbance.
Police say the officers encountered a white male with a long gun. Shots were fired after the man didn’t comply with the officers’ commands.
The man was pronounced dead at the scene. He was identified as 23-year-old Michael Thomas Pierce Jr. of Harrisonburg.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump’s taxes show chronic losses and years of income tax avoidance WATCH
- Donald Trump, facing financial ruin, sought control of his elderly father's estate — leading to an epic family fight
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Her words: Amy Coney Barrett on faith, precedent, abortion
- Airlines say flying is safe, but recent studies reveal potential for superspreader coronavirus disaster
The officers involved in the shooting were placed on administrative leave.
The shooting will be investigated by the police department’s Criminal Investigations Division and Internal Affairs Unit.