LUCEDALE, Miss. (AP) — Authorities say police shot and killed a man after a chase that began when south Mississippi deputies tried to pull over an antique pickup truck for failure to yield.
Mississippi Bureau of Investigation spokesman Warren Strain says in an email that the man’s name is being withheld until his next-of-kin can be notified.
He says deputies and a state trooper chased the car for about 20 minutes early Sunday on Highway 26, ending near Lucedale, about 40 miles north-northeast of Biloxi.
Strain says “authorities were forced to discharge their weapons,” but says he cannot comment about why or which officers fired because the case is still being investigated.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Soldier with 'Hitler mustache' is first to be thrown out of military after Capitol riot charges
- Sheriff says family on California hike died of extreme heat
- FBI: Remains found in Florida park ID'd as Brian Laundrie
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Two Montanas? New maps highlight state's split personality
The bureau is investigating the shooting because police were involved.