PERU, Ind. (AP) — Authorities say an emergency medical technician has died after the ambulance he was riding in crashed into a car and rolled in northern Indiana.
The crash happened about 3:45 a.m. Monday in Miami County near the community of Peru. State police say a preliminary investigation found the 26-year-old woman driving the ambulance fell asleep at the wheel before running a red light.
Police say 32-year-old EMT Mousa Chaban of Mishawaka was in the back of the ambulance and died of his injuries. Two people in the also car were injured.
The ambulance was transporting a 5-month-old patient and the child’s mother from a South Bend hospital to a hospital in Indianapolis at the time of the crash. Police say they weren’t hurt. The crash is under investigation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The little-noticed surge across the U.S.-Mexico border: Americans heading south VIEW
- Jamie Oliver's UK restaurant chain collapses into insolvency
- Judge sides with Congress over Trump in demands for records
- Ex-partner of deceased skater Coughlin says she was abused
- Should Donald Trump be impeached? Americans organize to read Mueller report, reach their own conclusions