PERU, Ind. (AP) — Authorities say an emergency medical technician has died after the ambulance he was riding in crashed into a car and rolled in northern Indiana.
The crash happened about 3:45 a.m. Monday in Miami County near the community of Peru. State police say a preliminary investigation found the 26-year-old woman driving the ambulance fell asleep at the wheel before running a red light.
Police say 32-year-old EMT Mousa Chaban of Mishawaka was in the back of the ambulance and died of his injuries. Two people in the also car were injured.
The ambulance was transporting a 5-month-old patient and the child’s mother from a South Bend hospital to a hospital in Indianapolis at the time of the crash. Police say they weren’t hurt. The crash is under investigation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Kellyanne Conway dismisses her husband's concerns that President Trump's mental health is deteriorating
- Witness describes death plunge of two Yosemite climbers
- DNA testing helps police confirm Ted Bundy killed missing Utah teen
- A risky business in Trump loans: Deutsche Bank’s affinity for an outcast client VIEW
- Trump targets Biden after former VP's verbal slip