SUFFOLK, Va. (AP) — Officials say a dump truck driver is dead after a collision with an Amtrak train in Virginia.
Suffolk police said in a statement Friday that the truck and train crashed in downtown Suffolk around 8 p.m. Thursday.
Police say 61-year-old Karl Alexander Hill of Norfolk, the driver of the dump truck, was killed. Fire officials say the 60 passengers aboard the train were assessed and one man was taken to a local hospital with a minor injury.
Officials say the train was traveling from New York to Norfolk when the crash occurred about 20 miles (32 kilometers) from its destination. Amtrak arranged for a bus to take passengers to the Norfolk station.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- New research hints at 4 factors that may increase chances of long COVID
- They had COVID-19 once. Then, they got it again.
- Rare eagle seen in Maine, wowing birders, might stay a bit
- Justice Breyer to retire, giving Biden first court pick
- CDC travel warning flags 5 Caribbean destinations as 'very high' risk for COVID-19
The cause of the crash is under investigation.