EUREKA, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a driver who crashed his car on a Florida bridge and then crawled out a window has plunged more than 70 feet (20 meters) to his death.
News outlets cite a release from the Florida Highway Patrol as saying 20-year-old Chad Lee Melnyk struck a concrete railing with his car Sunday night on the State Road 40 bridge, spanning the Ocklawaha River near Silver Springs.
The statement says it appears Melnyk crawled out of the driver’s side window and then fell over the guardrail to the ground below.
Authorities say it’s unclear why the car had crossed from an eastbound direction into the westbound lane, striking the railing with its left side.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Single word sparks crossfire between Supreme Court, NPR and its star reporter Nina Totenberg
- An old Virginia plantation, a new owner and a family legacy unveiled
- A 12-year-old wrote his governor to oppose a gun law. A stray bullet killed him on Christmas
- 'Whoa, that's not right': Georgia towns lead census appeals
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
Melnyk was pronounced dead at the scene by a fire rescue official.