WATERTOWN, N.Y. (AP) — A police dog in northern New York state has died during a training exercise.
The Jefferson County Sheriff says its office dog, a German Shepherd named Scout, was retrieving a ball on Thursday afternoon when it got stuck behind the dog’s teeth.
According to The Post-Standard of Syracuse , officers tried the Heimlich maneuver, CPR, and mouth-to-nose resuscitation before rushing Scout to an animal hospital. By the time the dog arrived at the facility, it was too late; its airway had been blocked for too long.
Scout worked with the sheriff’s department for more than three years and was trained to detect explosives.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- Trump questions US intel, not Putin, on Russia 2016 meddling WATCH
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Lava crashes through roof of Hawaii tour boat, injuring 23