WATERTOWN, N.Y. (AP) — A police dog in northern New York state has died during a training exercise.
The Jefferson County Sheriff says its office dog, a German Shepherd named Scout, was retrieving a ball on Thursday afternoon when it got stuck behind the dog’s teeth.
According to The Post-Standard of Syracuse , officers tried the Heimlich maneuver, CPR, and mouth-to-nose resuscitation before rushing Scout to an animal hospital. By the time the dog arrived at the facility, it was too late; its airway had been blocked for too long.
Scout worked with the sheriff’s department for more than three years and was trained to detect explosives.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hearing sets up dramatic showdown between Kavanaugh, accuser WATCH
- Trump Jr. mocks sexual assault claim against Kavanaugh
- Grizzly's rare aggressive attack kills 1, puzzles officials
- Noah's Ark except it's a school bus: Truck driver rescues 64 dogs and cats from floods of Hurricane Florence
- Soon-Yi Previn defends husband Woody Allen, attacks mother