WATERTOWN, N.Y. (AP) — A police dog in northern New York state has died during a training exercise.
The Jefferson County Sheriff says its office dog, a German Shepherd named Scout, was retrieving a ball on Thursday afternoon when it got stuck behind the dog’s teeth.
According to The Post-Standard of Syracuse , officers tried the Heimlich maneuver, CPR, and mouth-to-nose resuscitation before rushing Scout to an animal hospital. By the time the dog arrived at the facility, it was too late; its airway had been blocked for too long.
Scout worked with the sheriff’s department for more than three years and was trained to detect explosives.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- Alec Baldwin wonders whether Trump's 'SNL' attack poses 'a threat to my safety'
- Intimidation, pressure and humiliation: Inside Trump’s two-year war on the investigations encircling him VIEW
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Newspaper calls for KKK resurgence, schools rescind honors