SILVER SPRING, Md. (AP) — Authorities say a Washington, D.C.-area day care provider slapped a 2-year-old’s face over her soiled diaper.
Montgomery County police said in a Tuesday statement 65-year-old Christina Dhanaraj was arrested Jan. 12 after detectives received a video of her abusing the girl. Dhanaraj was charged with second-degree child abuse and has been released from custody on bond.
Investigators believe it happened last November or December.
The video shows Dhanaraj scolding the girl before slapping her roughly eight times. Dhanaraj also pushes her to the floor and grabs her head.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Here's the difference between N95 and KN95 masks, and how to spot a fake
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- As nations decide to live with the virus, some disease experts warn of surrendering too soon
- Popular TV anchor catches COVID for a second time: 'This virus is scary'
- Tonga volcano's eruption was so forceful, it may have helped clear Seattle's fog
The Maryland Office of Child Care has revoked Dhanaraj’s license. She operated the day care in her Silver Spring home.
The Washington Post reports an OCC official wrote Dhanaraj seemed upset the child soiled her diaper. Dhanaraj’s attorney, Patrick Hanifin, declined to discuss the allegations.
Information from: The Washington Post, http://www.washingtonpost.com