IRA, Vt. (AP) — Vermont State Police say a man cleaning his handgun at a campsite accidentally shot his 9-year-old daughter in the stomach, sending her to the intensive care unit.
The shooting happened Sunday morning at a campsite in a wooded area off U.S. Route 4 in Ira.
Police say the father, Randy Babcock, was cleaning the .22-caliber handgun when it went off.
Family members carried McKenzie Ezzo to a rest area, where they were met by emergency personnel.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hunting leaks, Trump officials subpoenaed Apple for data of 2 Democrats in Congress
- How many oceans does Earth have? National Geographic now says 5.
- A man dumped 80,000 pennies on the lawn for his last child-support payment; his daughter paid it forward
- Oregon House expels GOP lawmaker who let far-right rioters into state Capitol: 'He has shown no remorse'
- 2 passengers test positive for COVID on first North American cruise since pandemic started
Police say McKenzie underwent surgery and is in guarded condition at a hospital.
Police are investigating the shooting.