IRA, Vt. (AP) — Vermont State Police say a man cleaning his handgun at a campsite accidentally shot his 9-year-old daughter in the stomach, sending her to the intensive care unit.
The shooting happened Sunday morning at a campsite in a wooded area off U.S. Route 4 in Ira.
Police say the father, Randy Babcock, was cleaning the .22-caliber handgun when it went off.
Family members carried McKenzie Ezzo to a rest area, where they were met by emergency personnel.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A Texas man hit the strip club and bought a Lamborghini with COVID aid. Now he's headed to prison
- Existing vaccines might not be effective against omicron variant right away, Moderna CEO says
- Counterfeit COVID masks are still sold everywhere, despite misleading claims
- Marcus Lamb, head of Daystar, a Christian network that discouraged vaccines, dies after getting COVID-19
- Christmas at the White House: Goodbye to 'creepy' snow people, blood-red trees
Police say McKenzie underwent surgery and is in guarded condition at a hospital.
Police are investigating the shooting.