MILLIS, Mass. (AP) — Police are looking for a gunman who fired at a police cruiser in a town southwest of Boston, and schools are being closed as a precaution.
The police car crashed and caught fire Wednesday in Millis. The officer wasn’t seriously hurt.
Two threatening phone calls were made to a middle school earlier in the day. Police Sgt. William Dwyer says the events aren’t believed to be related but investigators want to be sure. Schools are closed Thursday.
Dwyer says a white man 25 to 40 years old fired at the officer from a maroon pickup truck driving in the opposite direction. He says the officer crashed when he spun around to try to follow the truck.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Can you have alcohol after the COVID vaccine?
- After leading a 153-person hike in the Grand Canyon, a Washington health-care exec faces federal charges
- Why the world's most vaccinated country is seeing an unprecedented spike in coronavirus cases
- 4 ex-cops indicted on US civil rights charges in Floyd death
- Mom who gave birth on flight didn't know she was pregnant
Police had asked people to remain inside while they searched the wooded neighborhood. They say they believe the man has left the area.