OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — Police say a 30-year-old Omaha, Nebraska, man accidentally shot his pinky finger after falling asleep holding his new handgun.
The Omaha World-Herald reports the accident happened early Tuesday. Police say the man told officers he was sitting on a couch in his house when he “must have fallen asleep” holding his newly-purchased 9 mm pistol in his right hand. He told officers he awoke around 4:30 a.m. to a loud bang and realized he had shot his left pinky finger.
The man’s wife and children were asleep at the time and weren’t hurt. The man was taken to a hospital where he was told the wound would require surgery.
Police cited the man on suspicion having an unregistered firearm and unlawful discharge of a firearm.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Florida athletes could be required to submit their menstrual history to schools
- Pentagon: Chinese spy balloon spotted over Western US
- Police now say no evidence of planned big Hollywood shooting
- Trump outlines plan to attack trans rights if reelected
- Can a trillion-dollar coin break the debt gridlock in Washington?
Information from: Omaha World-Herald, http://www.omaha.com