OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — Police say a 30-year-old Omaha, Nebraska, man accidentally shot his pinky finger after falling asleep holding his new handgun.
The Omaha World-Herald reports the accident happened early Tuesday. Police say the man told officers he was sitting on a couch in his house when he “must have fallen asleep” holding his newly-purchased 9 mm pistol in his right hand. He told officers he awoke around 4:30 a.m. to a loud bang and realized he had shot his left pinky finger.
The man’s wife and children were asleep at the time and weren’t hurt. The man was taken to a hospital where he was told the wound would require surgery.
Police cited the man on suspicion having an unregistered firearm and unlawful discharge of a firearm.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A grandma knew she was being scammed, so she decided to swindle the swindler
- An old Virginia plantation, a new owner and a family legacy unveiled
- Single word sparks crossfire between Supreme Court, NPR and its star reporter Nina Totenberg
- Omicron’s spread could end ‘emergency phase’ of pandemic, world health official says
- COVID-19 tests: Different types and when to use them
Information from: Omaha World-Herald, http://www.omaha.com