HOMESTEAD, Fla. (AP) — A 13-year-old boy was hospitalized after being shot three times in the torso Monday night in South Miami-Dade County, police said.
According to the Miami Herald (http://hrld.us/1QTaC0k), Eric Watson Jr. was able to talk with medics when they arrived after the 7:30 p.m. shooting in the Homestead area, about 28 miles southwest of Miami, Det. Marjorie Eloi said.
Investigators were trying to determine a motive for the shooting. The teen had been outside with friends; he was visiting his grandmother, Eloi said.
The shooting happened the day after a 7-year-old boy was fatally shot in Richmond Heights, also in South Miami-Dade. Investigators do not believe they are connected. It is the latest in a string of Miami-Dade shootings with victims who are children or teens.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A Kansas boy entered a unique insect at the state fair. It triggered a federal investigation
- A woman saw a gynecologist for nine years. Then she discovered he was her biological father, lawsuit says
- 4 friends found dead in abandoned SUV in a cornfield; police call motive 'a mystery'
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Bob Enyart, anti-vaccination pastor and right-wing 'fanatic,' dies of COVID
“It’s becoming heartbreaking to … continuously come out and speak about these shootings involving children,” Eloi said. “Every phone call, our hearts sink. It’s becoming a nightmare to us.”
This story has been corrected to show the victim is 13-years-old, not 12-years-old.