PORTSMOUTH, Va. (AP) — Newly released video from a police body camera in Virginia shows a white officer shooting a black suspect in the back as he tries to run away.
The Virginian-Pilot obtained video showing rookie Portsmouth Officer Jeremy Durocher wounding Deontrace Ward, who authorities described as an armed burglary suspect. Authorities say the shooting occurred in October as police responded to a robbery call in a residential neighborhood in the southeast Virginia city.
Ward’s mother, Eboni West, said the video shows the shooting was unjustified.
Durocher’s attorney, Nicolas Renninger, said Ward was a clear danger because he was armed. Police said they found a loaded handgun in Ward’s pantleg.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- You had breakthrough COVID. Can you start living like it’s 2019?
- US charges Belarus with air piracy in reporter's arrest
- Much of nation isn't active enough — but WA residents are exception, CDC says
- McConnell: Black people vote at similar rates to 'Americans'
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Ward is scheduled to stand trial May 1 on several felony charges. It’s not known if he has an attorney.