ATLANTA (AP) — Police say a man accused of shooting an Atlanta officer and another man during a traffic stop has been arrested.
Sgt. Warren Pickard tells local media outlets that 26-year-old Anthony Bernard Williams was arrested shortly before noon Wednesday. He has been charged with aggravated assault against a police officer.
Police say Williams was the passenger of a vehicle stopped after officers received a call about a possible carjacking Monday. Police say Williams shot the driver several times after the driver got out and ran toward police.
Pickard says Williams began shooting at police, hitting an officer in the arm twice, before escaping on foot.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Seattle scientist digs up deleted coronavirus genetic data, adding fuel to COVID origin debate
- Many feared dead after Florida beachfront condo collapses
- Study finds correlation between high-fat Western diet and pain
- Washington state extremist pays a price after unmasking by left
- Parkland parents tricked ex-NRA president into a 'graduation speech' to empty chairs representing gun victims
Police say the victim was hospitalized in stable condition and the officer’s injuries were minor.