SAO PAULO (AP) — Police say they have arrested an alleged Mexican drug boss in northeastern Brazil, where he was vacationing with his family.
Brazil’s Federal Police Department says 42-year-old Jose Gonzales Valencia was arrested Wednesday at a beach resort in the city of Fortaleza.
Police describe Gonzalez Valencia as one of the leaders of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel and say the United States has requested his extradition to face drug trafficking charges.
The police statement says that Gonzalez Valencia has been living in neighboring Bolivia for two years after fleeing Mexico. He entered Brazil on Dec.22 using a Bolivian passport.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- Sen. Warren: DNA test shows I have Native American heritage
- Alec Baldwin urges 'overthrow' of Trump government via voting
- Prince Harry, Meghan expecting child in spring
- 'I shot a whole family of baboons': Idaho Fish and Game official faces fury after Africa trophy hunting boasts