SAO PAULO (AP) — Police say they have arrested an alleged Mexican drug boss in northeastern Brazil, where he was vacationing with his family.
Brazil’s Federal Police Department says 42-year-old Jose Gonzales Valencia was arrested Wednesday at a beach resort in the city of Fortaleza.
Police describe Gonzalez Valencia as one of the leaders of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel and say the United States has requested his extradition to face drug trafficking charges.
The police statement says that Gonzalez Valencia has been living in neighboring Bolivia for two years after fleeing Mexico. He entered Brazil on Dec.22 using a Bolivian passport.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Texas thrusts itself into the center of battles over personal freedom
- One woman dominated a local fair's food contest. The internet went looking for her
- Men rush to get vasectomies after Roe ruling
- Cruz takes a shot at Elmo the muppet over getting a COVID vaccine
- 2nd visitor in 3 days gored by Yellowstone park bison