SAO PAULO (AP) — Police say they have arrested an alleged Mexican drug boss in northeastern Brazil, where he was vacationing with his family.
Brazil’s Federal Police Department says 42-year-old Jose Gonzales Valencia was arrested Wednesday at a beach resort in the city of Fortaleza.
Police describe Gonzalez Valencia as one of the leaders of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel and say the United States has requested his extradition to face drug trafficking charges.
The police statement says that Gonzalez Valencia has been living in neighboring Bolivia for two years after fleeing Mexico. He entered Brazil on Dec.22 using a Bolivian passport.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Yukon trapper shoots attacking grizzly — then finds his family already mauled to death
- Dog that survived California wildfire and guarded home for weeks is reunited with owner WATCH
- Michelle Obama lights up Internet with frank criticism of Facebook exec's 'lean in' mantra
- White House chief of staff John Kelly to leave at year's end
- US: Trump lawyer met Russian offering 'political synergy' VIEW