AKRON, Ohio (AP) — Police in Ohio say a 9-year-old boy shot and critically wounded his 8-year-old cousin with a handgun he found in a kitchen cupboard while getting snacks.
Akron police say the older boy picked up the gun, pointed it at his cousin and fired, hitting the younger boy in the abdomen.
Police responded to the scene around 1 a.m. Sunday after a teenager asked someone else to call for help. They say the injured boy was taken to a hospital.
A police spokesman said the boy remained in critical condition Monday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Single word sparks crossfire between Supreme Court, NPR and its star reporter Nina Totenberg
- An old Virginia plantation, a new owner and a family legacy unveiled
- A grandma knew she was being scammed, so she decided to swindle the swindler
- A 12-year-old wrote his governor to oppose a gun law. A stray bullet killed him on Christmas
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
Investigators haven’t publicly identified the children involved or the owner of the weapon.
No charges were immediately filed. The shooting remains under investigation.