MERRILLVILLE, Ind. (AP) — Police say a 3-year-old girl accidentally shot and wounded her pregnant mother in a car parked outside a northwestern Indiana thrift store.
The shooting happened Tuesday afternoon in Merrillville as the girl, a 1-year-old boy and her mother waited in the car while the woman’s boyfriend was inside the store. Police say the man is the girl’s father and apparently left the loaded gun in the car.
The woman is listed in critical but stable condition. Detective Sgt. James Bogner says the girl “had no idea what she had done and she was very scared.”
Police say the man is being held on suspicion of child endangerment.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- She bought her dream home; a ‘sovereign citizen’ changed the locks
- Moderna vs. Pfizer: Both knockouts, but one seems to have the edge
- Linda Evangelista says CoolSculpting 'disfigured' her. Here's what experts say about the procedure
- Huge hack reveals embarrassing details of who's behind Proud Boys and other far-right websites
- John Hinckley, who shot Reagan, to be freed from oversight
The children have been placed into protective custody. Police say the family lives in Michigan City.